Budget Travel Tips: Essential Travel Gear & Items

Budget Travel Tips: Essential Travel Gear & Items

Going through all of the things I’m traveling with, while in my hotel room in Bangkok, Thailand. Note: See the full list of items below!
PLANNING A BUDGET TRAVELING TRIP?? “Gabe’s Guide to Budget Travel” is a travel guidebook that’s packed with practical travel info, tips and tricks. And it’s just $10 on Amazon! Click here for more info: http://www.amazon.com/Gabes-Guide-Budget-Travel-Tricks/dp/1470155141/
Or feel like reading something fun, adventurous and inspiring? “Following My Thumb” by Gabriel Morris features 26 adventure travel stories from around the world. It’s also available on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Following-My-Thumb-Gabriel-Morris/dp/1846948495/
Lots more adventure travel at: http://gabrieltraveler.com
Follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabrieltravel

Video created by Gabriel Morris, who is the owner of all video or photo content. See more below.

Gabriel Morris is a world traveler and travel writer who has been adventuring around the world off and on since his first trip to Europe in the summer of 1990. He is author of “Following My Thumb”, a collection of 26 exciting and hilarious autobiographical travel stories from his worldly wanderings during the 1990s; and of several other books. Visit http://gabrieltraveler.com for lots more info about his travel writing, photography, videos, budget travel tips and much more.

Thanks a lot for watching, and safe journeys!

List of backpacking items:

-backpack
-daypack
-blanket
-sarong (or other piece of cloth for laying on the sand, etc.)
-sun hat
-watch/clock
-wallet w/ID, etc.
-fingernail clippers
-ear plugs/sleeping mask
-playing cards/hacky sack
-small padlock
-bicycle lock (for locking your backpack on trains or at hostels)
-voltage converter (if needed)
-socket adapter (so that you can plug devices from your country into other country’s electrical outlets)
-band-aids, Advil, medications

Budget Travel Tips: Essential Travel Gear & Items

1. suru unconditional luv on September 22, 2018 at 12:05 am

Cool 😎 ❤❤❤

2. Jonathan on September 22, 2018 at 12:09 am

Where did you buy the leatherman with the leather carry holster?

3. Cort W on September 22, 2018 at 12:11 am

Great video as usual. Have you ever gotten stopped with your leatherman going through airport security?

4. Dracomies on September 22, 2018 at 12:22 am

Just wanted to add a bit of constructive feedback as I’ve been to Southeast Asia and have a good understanding of things that you should pack and things that you shouldn’t.
    Let’s go through the list:
    Right off the bat I would recommend a nicer hotel than the one you have right now. Hotels in Thailand are so cheap and for about $30-$40 per night, you can get something equivalent to the Cosmo in Las Vegas. Don’t get a hostel. I’m not about the Marriot but for a few bucks more, you can solve most of the problems that you have and have mentioned in this video. You don’t need to worry about locks, extra blankets, towels or electric converters working correctly, etc. if you have a good hotel. And you can get a great hotel for about 30-40 US dollars, so I’d strongly urge everyone to avoid hostels and pay the extra $15.
    At 2:17, you mention a guide book. You don’t need this if you have a Thai Sim Card with internet on your cellphone.
    At 2:26, you mention a beard trimmer. I’d opt for the Oneblade by Norelco. Perfect for traveling and lightweight. –> https://www.target.com/p/philips-norelco-oneblade-hybrid-rechargeable-men-s-electric-shaver-and-trimmer-qp2520-70/-/A-50845016
    At 2:35, you mention electric converters. They are much cheaper and lighter these days in 2017. I’d recommend this. –>Ceptics All-In-One International Travel Plug Adapter with Dual USB Ports
    Also you don’t need to worry about this if you’re in a hotel rather than a hostel. (This is why I’m very much against hostels or cheap hotels. I’m all about getting a bargain but some things are not worth trimming the price on)
    At 4:03, you mention no service on the cellphone but a Simcard at the Thai airport can give you 4G internet on your cellphone for about $10 for one week.
    At 4:08, you mention a metal water bottle. To be frank, water bottles are dirt-cheap in Thailand and they are on *every* street. They run at about 5 baht per water bottle, which is 15 cents. Yes, if you are environment friendly, you can carry a clunky bottle but I don’t like carrying extra things if I don’t need to.
    At 4:36, you mention a knife. I personally wouldn’t bring a knife as that means I would need to check-in my luggage. I’d buy one in Thailand if I absolutely needed a knife. The problem is with checking in luggage. Checking in your things wastes 2 hours of your time every time. Usually it takes about 45 minutes to check-in my bags and another hour waiting for it to come out of a carousel. That’s *if* it even comes out of the carousel. And that’s not factoring *if* it’s the last bag out of the carousel. And that’s not factoring in if I’m going through multiple countries. So you are effectively wasting so many hours of your time. I don’t check-in. Everything goes on carry-on. I get in and out within minutes. I don’t ever have to worry about whether my bags will get to me. Rule of thumb: If you’ve brought so much that you need to check-in, you’ve brought too much.
    At 4:53, you mention a Sleep Mask. I use that as well. But I don’t need that once I’ve landed. It sounds like your current hotel has no curtains. Again, another reason to upgrade to a nicer hotel. I would never, ever opt for a hotel less than $30 per night. Those tend to be disappointing.
    At 5:26, you mention earplugs. I’d recommend these –>
    At 5:33, you mention bandaids, Advil, chapstick. You don’t need these in Thailand. You’ll find them on every block.
    At 5:46, you mention toiletries. You don’t need these. These are everywhere. The only thing I would recommend bringing is Stick Deodorant. They have spray and roll-on deodorant but no stick deodorant. Also bring your own Sunblock because their sunblock has skin-whitening in Thailand.
    At 5:55, I agree with you on the toilet paper. I go to the Thai Family Mart and buy the small packs there. Portable baby wipes (don’t laugh) work even better.
    At 6:08, you don’t have to bring a lock if you have a slightly more expensive hotel. It’s worth that little bit of security.
    At 6:55, you mention a need to bring a blanket. Hotels (other than cheap hostels) will provide that.
    At 7:28-7:45, you’re better off with a microfiber quickdry portable towel. That replaces your Sarong and your towel.

5. Mark Santucci on September 22, 2018 at 12:25 am

So even in warm area’s like Thailand you bought Chapstick? or did you come over from a colder place and just happened to have Chapstick in this video?

Do you like sports if so any favorite teams? if so do you ever bring that teams cap?

of the places you’ve been to this place and in Mexico when Merchant’s take credit cards
    Do they take Discover? I noticed in your Mexico video a couple places had American Express ?

6. Jijifreestyle on September 22, 2018 at 12:27 am

Why do you have so many ear-plugs?

7. Wanderer on September 22, 2018 at 12:30 am

If I’m travelling India and staying in budget hotels, when I go out for the day, and obviously can’t take everything with me, if I padlock the door how can I ensure that someone doesn’t just break it with bolt cutters? or is this a rare scenario? Because I am planning on taking some pretty expensive photography gear (which Id rather not carry all of it every time I go out).

8. Micah Carroll on September 22, 2018 at 12:32 am

ever get rad hackysack circles with locals?

9. F.D McIntyre on September 22, 2018 at 12:34 am

Just checked my emails and I was in Thailand at this time when you were there!!! I wonder have we ever passed each other on trips???

10. Lady Gunsmith on September 22, 2018 at 12:36 am

They don’t use toilet paper in parts of Asia? Then what do they use?

11. Afrocentric AnatomyTV on September 22, 2018 at 12:39 am

Cool love this lol

12. F.D McIntyre on September 22, 2018 at 12:40 am

Another nice video, thanks Gabriel!!! I always take a couple of combi locks with me, keys can get lost, the beard trimmer I am not so sure about, would be quite heavy, I would buy a local one and then ditch it before leaving the country, depends on the final weight of my kit??

13. Uncle Badger on September 22, 2018 at 12:41 am

That’s a lot of ear plugs

14. Jan Folke Rørvik on September 22, 2018 at 12:43 am

Camera gear – laptop?

15. 630247365 on September 22, 2018 at 12:48 am

Buy a wireless beard trimmer so you can just charge it through a USB cable

16. Mike Honcho on September 22, 2018 at 12:50 am

I always carry athletic tape for blister prevention on my feet and hydrocortisone cream for chafing.