Nepal Travel: Essential Gear for Trekking the Himalayas

Nepal Travel: Essential Gear for Trekking the Himalayas

Gear needed for trekking in the Himalaya Mountains of Nepal.
Click here to watch the other video about getting ready for trekking:

PLANNING A BUDGET TRAVELING TRIP?? “Gabe’s Guide to Budget Travel” is a travel guidebook that’s packed with practical travel info, tips and tricks. And it’s just $10 on Amazon! Click here for more info: http://www.amazon.com/Gabes-Guide-Budget-Travel-Tricks/dp/1470155141/
Or feel like reading something fun, adventurous and inspiring? “Following My Thumb” by Gabriel Morris features 26 adventure travel stories from around the world. It’s also available on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Following-My-Thumb-Gabriel-Morris/dp/1846948495/

Trekking equipment list:

-backpack
-daypack
-hiking shoes
-waterproof trekking jacket
-warm pullover
-pants
-shorts
-long underwear tops and bottoms
-t-shirts
-towel
-socks and underwear
-gloves
-warm hat
-sun hat with brim
-neck warmer
-sunglasses
-camera, extra batteries & battery charger
-laptop (optional)
-toilet paper
-wallet, credit cards & CASH (i.e. Nepali rupees)
-passport & trekking permits
-cell phone, watch
-lock and key for locking your room at lodges
-lip gloss/chapstick
-flashlight or headlamp
-water purification tablets
-water bottle
-book for reading, journal, pens
-map of the trekking route
-ear plugs & sleeping mask
-soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, razor, shaving cream
-thread, needle, collapsible scissors, lighter
-extra snacks such as chocolate bars & trail mix
-Advil, any medications, band aids or other first aid items
-travel chess set or other game (optional)

Lots more adventure travel at: http://gabrieltraveler.com
Follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabrieltravel

Video created by Gabriel Morris, who is the owner of all video or photo content. See more below.

Gabriel Morris is a world traveler and travel writer who has been adventuring around the world off and on since his first trip to Europe in the summer of 1990. He is author of “Following My Thumb”, a collection of 26 exciting and hilarious autobiographical travel stories from his worldly wanderings during the 1990s; and of several other books. Visit http://gabrieltraveler.com for lots more info about his travel writing, photography, videos, budget travel tips and much more.

Thanks a lot for watching, and safe journeys!

Nepal Travel: Essential Gear for Trekking the Himalayas

1. sito on August 5, 2018 at 10:52 am

Is a GPS necessary? you forgot to mention GPS?

2. Dale Buckley on August 5, 2018 at 10:52 am

Gabriel sorry. .I enjoy your videos. ..I’m never going to rent bedding or pay for a room with out heat…

3. turkeyham10 on August 5, 2018 at 10:53 am

Condoms?

4. jeremy ervine on August 5, 2018 at 10:54 am

How ya going mate. iv been watching a few of your videos and I was wondering how much is a good amount of money to do the Annapurna circuit ? USD or rupiah

5. EP VB on August 5, 2018 at 10:58 am

Hi, What month did you do this trek at which your water froze at night?

6. Remi Schellekens on August 5, 2018 at 10:59 am

Hey buddy, cool video. thanks for all the tips. Just a quick question, where did you get the trekking permit and how much were they? Are they specific to the national park you intend to visit?
    Cheers

7. Luke Smith on August 5, 2018 at 11:04 am

Quality sleeping bag
    High cut boots
    Medical kit including stoppers when you’ve got the shits
    Wet wipes
    Quick drying t shirt/ shirt
    Thermals
    Down jacket
    Altitude pills if you’re going high
    Wear layers

8. Heungman Kwan on August 5, 2018 at 11:05 am

very well done my friend…
    i saw clips of some couple traveled with one guide/porter, is that possible? meaning combining the two tasks in one person as we travel light but do need a local person for safety concern. how much did you pay them?
    also, how convenience was charging your camera and phone battery.
    thanks in advance.

9. PinayTunay on August 5, 2018 at 11:06 am

neck warmer is called "muffler" 🙂

10. James Devaney on August 5, 2018 at 11:17 am

No cotton clothing! Not ever. Anywhere. You’ll freeeeeze!

11. Gabriel Traveler on August 5, 2018 at 11:17 am

baddogonline, it’s certainly possible there could be some truth to that, but fortunately that wasn’t my experience at all, quite the opposite. A trekking guide that I talked to before my trek in Kathmandu actually said I could request free accommodation on my trek, and he was right: I only paid for accommodation one night, for just 150 rupees or $1.50. But that’s because I was doing one of the less popular treks, and off-season in February. I’m sure it’s a totally different story when doing the Annapurna Circuit trek or the Everest Base Camp trek during high season. $20 for an extra blanket? Yowza, that would jack things up alright. I paid about $15 a day for all my expenses (which was basically just food). I’d be curious to read that article though, do you remember which magazine it was in?

12. Michael Wilson on August 5, 2018 at 11:18 am

Hey Gabriel,
      I’m just starting to research thru-hiking the ght. I previously hiked the appalachian trail and this is my first week of research and i’m both pumped and nervous. Biggest question is finance. The a.t was very inexpensive for me, most hostels have work for stay and besides gear you just paid for food and beverages (which 99 percent of the time was beer) i saw one video that said to do the whole trail would be roughly 200,000?? then i saw group offering trips for 30k?? when you said bring plenty of cash with, whats a ballpark. I have roughly 50k and want to do a six month trip.. Just seeing if thats doable. And any books or websites you recommend..

13. Dale Buckley on August 5, 2018 at 11:22 am

renting sleeping bag for one. .two. .not having one. .three. .go to one

14. X Marks on August 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

Condoms. Made in the US or Euro: Nepali condoms break easily.

15. Dale Buckley on August 5, 2018 at 11:26 am

so much for that shit hole third world country. .it has nothing on the Canadian Rockies. ..Buddhism and capitalism is a mystery to me.

16. Dale Buckley on August 5, 2018 at 11:27 am

where are you?

17. yna puy on August 5, 2018 at 11:27 am

going to nepal this feb 11.. where did you rent the sleeping bag 1 dollar a day? for reals

18. MahzTravel on August 5, 2018 at 11:29 am

To bad we didn’t find this before we trekked to Langtang 🙂 we had to much we didn’t need

19. Ovi Bobanga on August 5, 2018 at 11:30 am

thanks for the video Gabriel…parts of your video are in very low light and hard to see

20. Lori Flynn on August 5, 2018 at 11:31 am

Snickers are very important, i know 😉

21. Madcat100 on August 5, 2018 at 11:32 am

Why do you pack shaving cream? You have a beard. For your armpits??

22. Afrocentric AnatomyTV on August 5, 2018 at 11:34 am

Cool checking out some old vids

23. Siddharth Ramdas on August 5, 2018 at 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing Gabriel….

24. sateesh kumar on August 5, 2018 at 11:37 am

Gabriel, what is the best time for Annapurna Circuit Trek? Also which month/week you did the recent ACT

25. Outside Material on August 5, 2018 at 11:37 am

Hey fantistic Vid. <3

26. amafid on August 5, 2018 at 11:39 am

Solar powered charger might be helpful.

27. Dale Buckley on August 5, 2018 at 11:42 am

It seem’s to me you are ill prepared for travel.

28. Travel and Hike on August 5, 2018 at 11:45 am

Hey Gabriel,
    You said something about leaving your checked luggage in a Hotel in Kathamandu while you took a trek? Can you write something more about this because that’s what i was wondering if its safe and so on ? P.S. I like your videos. greets from Poland

29. Power Trekkers on August 5, 2018 at 11:46 am

Can u just help us out how much cash should be essential for base camp till Annapurna base Camp of Himalaya

30. Freedom 'n' Survival on August 5, 2018 at 11:47 am

Thanks for this video Gabriel , very helpful .

31. screencast magazine on August 5, 2018 at 11:49 am

Hi, what type of sunglasses do you recommend when going in October?? thanks

32. Sam Perrins on August 5, 2018 at 11:50 am

Low ankle shoes…jeans… pretty horrendous advice. Well done.

33. Nick Santolla on August 5, 2018 at 11:50 am

Great videos man. Keep it up!