Winter Survival Travel Gear

Winter Survival Travel Gear

Sensible Prepper Presents: Winter Survival Travel Gear. A list of common sense Items to have in your vehicle during the cold winter months. Being stranded in your car overnight or longer can turn into tragedy if you’re not prepared.

Grey Eagle Trader http://www.greyeagletrader.com/

Emergency Tarp Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NDcKR-BOmI

SOL Escape Biviy Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKW9-fTbkwk

Fire Kit Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-QObUdoANw

Cotton Ball Fire Starter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhBOUOqkK9I

Car Survival Kit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWtxbNLq_w

Flashlight Source: Going Gear Website: http://goinggear.com/
10% discount use Sootch00 at checkout.

Tarp/ Space Blanket
Ice Scraper
Wool Cap
Insulated Socks
Balaclava
Gloves
Sun glasses
Hand warmers
Fire Kit
Cotton Balls & Vaseline (Fire Tender)
Flashlight w/ extra Batteries
Flare or Glow Sticks
Flare Gun w/flares
Shovel (Mil-Issue)
Pack

Thanks for watching~ Sootch00

1. Jason Mcdonald on August 4, 2018 at 10:48 am

Great info. I have a walmart kit that I keep in my vehicle but will be adding some of these items as well.

2. Castin North on August 4, 2018 at 10:49 am

I would add a couple of wool blankets and some chocolate

3. italo512 on August 4, 2018 at 10:52 am

Come On Sootch!!!! You forgot the cigars??? Those are essential!!!

4. Paolo Matelloni on August 4, 2018 at 10:54 am

where to get the money tube/pod?

5. sootch00 on August 4, 2018 at 10:57 am

Hundreds of people were stranded overnight on the Freeways going through Atlanta yesterday, Jan 29, 2014. Be Prepared and stay alive. .

6. Ian Brazier on August 4, 2018 at 10:58 am

Something you may consider adding is a long tow strap. I keep one in my truck in case I need to pull someone back onto the road, or out of the snow. And if I get stuck, I’ve got one so another truck can pull me out. They’re pretty cheap and I’ve already used it a few times.

7. ten22crew on August 4, 2018 at 10:59 am

Lets see about this year here in SC

8. robin hood on August 4, 2018 at 11:00 am

The Air force made all troops keep a winter kit in their vehicles. SAC would even inspect them to aid our winter safety in the Rockies. Even near Portland; many Californians can’t drive in bad weather and can muck-up traffic and you may get stranded overnight. But rehearsal is everything!

9. Joyce Jason on August 4, 2018 at 11:01 am

None of the car prep videos mention this, but if you and your family (i.e. kids, grandma etc.) are trapped in a vehicle for 13 hours or a couple of days — everyone will need to use some type of toilet. If you’re trapped on an expressway and snowed in what do you do? Do any preppers have suggestions? Females and children can’t just pee in a bottle. Also there is the matter of #2? What to do? I would love to tap into the mind of preppers to see what they might come up with for this very real emergency.

10. cwes41 on August 4, 2018 at 11:01 am

I’m lucky; I wake up when my feet are cold. When I’d travel through sleet and snow going from LA up through the Oregon Cascades, I’d take extra heavy blankets and a big pillow and other cold weather gear. When waiting out a snowstorm, I’d pull into a rest stop. I’d warm up the car, get in the back and get cozy under the blanket with the motor off (I fear carbon monoxide). I’d leave my stocking feet outside the blanket  so that they would get cold and wake me up later. Then I’d warm up the car again and repeat the cycle until I could leave. Oh, I also had a plastic snow shovel to clear a starting path in front of the vehicle. By keeping the interior warm, my drinking water didn’t freeze.

11. ten22crew on August 4, 2018 at 11:05 am

Yeah Down here South Carolina. We had a decent winter back in 2014-2014 specially Jan – Feb

12. Austin Milby on August 4, 2018 at 11:05 am

oddly for winter gloves my old mill surplus gloves like you have in the video has been one of the best pairs i’ve had. they arnt as warm but your fingers can move easier. if i am not using my hands for something that i need the movement with there staying in my pockets.

13. bomartin on August 4, 2018 at 11:07 am

thanks for your videos, during this last ice storm we had in florida, your information can in handy and everyone was ready, thanks again.

14. raccoontrapper on August 4, 2018 at 11:10 am

I keep the following in my truck year around.
    sun glasses, flashlight, multiple pairs of gloves (cotton, leather & extrication), basic tool kit (including spare fuses), three 30 minute road flares, chemlights, hatchet, jumper cables, hi vis jacket (vol. fire & EMS), 4 way lug wrench, fire starters, med bag, 20 ft tow chain, and 2" and 2 5/8" receiver hitch.

During the winter I add.
    studded snow tires, 5 gal bucket of ice melt, shovel, hand warmers and ice scrapper.

I prefer the chemlights or flashlight vs a candle because the candle will produce C02.
    Also, in my mind a ice scrapper should have a longer handle for better reach across the windshield (at least with my big truck). Having one with a brush is also nice so you don’t get your hands wet scraping off the snow. I also keep road flares in my truck instead of a flare gun because in a bad snow storm arial flares won’t be visible from very far anyway. Road flares have the advantage of being much longer lasting and can be placed on the road to alert other drives which can help keep you from being rear ended wether you slide off the road into a snow bank or are just changing a tire.

Hope this helps!

15. Joe Roy on August 4, 2018 at 11:11 am

Another great item I keep as part of a fire kit is the smaller firestarting logs they are very cheap and come in a small brick I break them up and use them in smaller peices. They have them at most dollar stores and esp walmarts and k Marts and grocery stores.

16. Marcus Hampton on August 4, 2018 at 11:13 am

As a survivalist all you really need in your vehicle is a zero degree sleeping bag, food, and water. A tiny stove to melt ice or snow could save your life. If you are prepared with enough food and can get clean water you can last a long time. Obviously, like you said, that is assuming you are sensibly dressed. I survive in the Olympic Mountains and I face this on a regular basis.

17. Richard Downer on August 4, 2018 at 11:13 am

Sootch, I live in the Atlanta area and was stuck in the gridlock for hours. Although I didn’t have to abandon my vehicle, I was prepared to do so. I actually got started with being prepared about a year ago after seeing a few of your videos. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into teaching others how to be sensible about their prepping!

18. browneye77 on August 4, 2018 at 11:15 am

I used to have a couple of bags of rock salt and kitty litter in the back of my truck for additional traction and to melt snow and ice. I always had a sleeping bag in the cab for when I did get stuck and had to wait out the night for a snow plow.

19. redmudpei on August 4, 2018 at 11:16 am

Studded winter tires and a real Ice scrapper, a large one with the brush on one end so you’re not getting your hands wet. A good ax and recovery strap should be year round items.

Best tool, is your brain and knowing when to stay home, and what your vehicle is capable of. 4x4s are not invincible, nor do they stop on a dime. Too many idiots tailgate in bad weather.

20. Илья Медов on August 4, 2018 at 11:22 am

full gas tank is a very helpful piece of gear in winter.
    this winter in russia (near orenburgh) there was an accident with a big group of cars that got stuck for 16 hours in snowstom. those people aren’t used to low temperatures, orenburgh is one of the southernest parts of russia.
    one man died – his car ran out of gas, he went out looking for a car that still had gas for heating, he lost the road and froze somewhere in the middle of a field.
    and many people got frostbites while getting to the cars that still got gas.

21. ChiefPrepper on August 4, 2018 at 11:23 am

I live in Kansas so the cold is somethingi have to deal with. My best advice is dress in layers. A shirt+ heavy sweater+ heavy coat= sweat. You don’t want sweat in the cold. Layers enables you to remove an article of clothing if you stay to sweat. They also make foot and toe warmers that are quite handy. I carry/use a military style, insulated baklava and it’s great. Sun off the snow can cause temporary blindness for up to 72 hours so sunglasses are important. Got any questions? Don’t be afraid to ask.

22. AVanilla Gorilla on August 4, 2018 at 11:26 am

I live pretty far north, good kit I would just include some type of heat source.. Also a real blanket.. It just depends on your temps.. We are far below zero for a good portion of the winter, exp at night.. We have disused it a few times and realized that most of the time we aren’t adequately dressed.. 20 below isn’t something a normal coat can protect against.. So we pack heavy and bring a small propane heater as well.. Always be prepared..!! Love your videos.. thanks..

23. dakotarcher09 on August 4, 2018 at 11:27 am

I’m from North Dakota. Winter here generally lasts from November-March, though it can vary greatly by year, for example, its February and this year its really nice and warm outside. From February to April I keep a heavy coat and snowpants in the back of my car., along with the shovel.

24. redneckoutdoors14 on August 4, 2018 at 11:29 am

I like the volleyball player idea, but the rest is good too. I think you pretty much coved it all, maybe a come-a-long would be nice, incase you get stuck in the ditch, happens all the time up here in MI

25. Craig O on August 4, 2018 at 11:29 am

In the UK you can get cheap snow/mud escape tracks that are nice and packable at about 18" long very good to get you moving again just rember to tie them to the back of your car so you don’t have to stop till you have better ground

26. Donny NY on August 4, 2018 at 11:30 am

I carry with me everything you said on the video plus more, being stuck before on bad snow storms on highways cause big trailers or down trees, I learned the hard way good pair of winter boots and shovel come along way to keep the muffler clear of snow especially in those 2 feet snow accumulation storms and extra snacks stay warm.

27. mohamed amine Badji on August 4, 2018 at 11:30 am

I’m not sure but ,if anyone else wants to learn about
    best dried food for survival
    try Franaar Spies Control Formula (do a google search ) ? Ive heard some interesting things about it and my cousin got cool results with it.

28. Robert Kościelny on August 4, 2018 at 11:31 am

Hello, can you tell me name of item at 3:30? I can’t Google where to buy such nice one with Velcro. Thanks in advance

29. Walter Kovacs on August 4, 2018 at 11:32 am

Sensible prepping – just as advertised!

The modular preparedness mentality is such a pragmatic one! i have a core G.O.O.D. bag that will offer *some* essentials for all seasons, but stored right next to it, i have some Winter gloves, a balaclava, extra food and water, tomahawk, machete, gps, – a bunch of other options for situation specific or seasonal predicaments.

The closest thing i would offer to constructed criticism would be if it’s a car prep kit, i would prefer a larger (&snow) shovel.

30. Yukon12gauge on August 4, 2018 at 11:33 am

I live in a northern area. One thing that is nice is half bottles of water. When they freeze they don’t burst .  I like my swede’s coatless

31. Pixely Charge on August 4, 2018 at 11:34 am

You should have at least 9 of those flares

32. LongBig Johnson on August 4, 2018 at 11:34 am

You need to have a polar bear advising folks on this topic

33. Kenneth Donnelly on August 4, 2018 at 11:35 am

a fire kit is a bit redundant if your caught out on a Motorway (Freeway) good if you out in the sticks but as i said redundant if you caught on the majority of urban roadways in a off road vehicle  yes its common sense, yes a tea light is a good idea but any open flame in an enclosed environment especially in a stranded vehicle situation can be extremely dangerous, a small portable space heater that plugs in to a 12 volt cigarette lighter would be a better idea http://www.ebay.com/itm/150W-12V-Car-Van-Boat-Ceramic-Fan-Heater-Defogger-Defroster-Demister-PORTABLE-/191018437229?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2c79960a6d&vxp=mtr     that with that emergency tarp used as a divider to close of unused space in the vehicle (the one in that link is looks to be the same size or near to it as your fire kit, this is just my take on a winter type stranded vehicle situation, i would love to hear you take on this,
    Regards,
    Ken.

34. John Dunaway on August 4, 2018 at 11:35 am

I stole your idea and threw my e-tool in my trunk. Great for a…. variety of uses.

35. Andrew Crites on August 4, 2018 at 11:35 am

Tow straps change of clothes and a pot. Put a candle in the pot and it’s like a mini heater

36. Keith Johnson on August 4, 2018 at 11:35 am

Great video.I use a large 40 mm ammo can in both of my vehicles.Kind of heavy but lots of room and I am not going to be taking it with me.I also carry a medium size bag of extra clothes , either summer or winter.A versa shelter based on Wilderness survival site. I can carry this with my get home bag if I have to abandon my vehicle.Some other useful tools.Alcohol stove, With extra fuel.Head lamp.Pioneer kit with Axe, shovel, machete,20 inch bow saw, crow bar, toll kit,etc.Case of bottled water.Cell phone charger.Stay safe my friends.

37. Joe Roy on August 4, 2018 at 11:39 am

@redmudpei I totally agree with your comment I drive a jeep and I get sooooooooo pissed off when people ride my ass of fly by me in there suvs esp suburbans and bigger ones they think they can do whatever in 4 wheel drive it’s rediculous

38. Zara Qadeer on August 4, 2018 at 11:40 am

Very good

39. Lance Baumgartner on August 4, 2018 at 11:40 am

That picture at the end of that global warming book for $1 and said "overpriced" was hilarious.

40. hall brolan on August 4, 2018 at 11:41 am

woot woot south carolina sound off !!!!

41. nathanlief on August 4, 2018 at 11:41 am

If you live up north I would add a blanket for each person just a moving blanket is better than nothing, but wool if you can afford it. Water and food, I keep a few gallons of water nothing fancy just you local store gallon of water I keep one per person so have 3. I throw a few MRE’s into the bag cause you never know. Also a bag of salt and kitty litter, weird yes but you can salt down the exhaust pipe exit to keep snow from accumulating so you can keep the car running and warm, and kitty litter will get you out of a bind with black ice. Thick rope as well.

42. CLKlasse on August 4, 2018 at 11:42 am

The aluminum foil is really good idea.

43. John Pace on August 4, 2018 at 11:43 am

Good video. Being here in the south, the ice storms are the killers. I keep the basic and add for winter or summer.

44. Ian Brazier on August 4, 2018 at 11:43 am

a bucket of kitty litter also helps when you don’t have any traction in the snow. Toss a couple handfuls under the tires and it grips like crazy

45. Alex B on August 4, 2018 at 11:44 am

Hey sensible prepped can you do a review on the grabber brand emergency all weather space blanket? It is bigger than the other all weather space blanked but I’m am not sure if it is the same quality of the smaller one

46. grouch314 on August 4, 2018 at 11:44 am

I like to keep my car kit in a backpack alongside my get home bag. That way if there’s someone else in the car with me, they can use that pack and take some stuff from the car kit that’s too big/heavy for my get home bag, such as a stove or the extra water. Alternatively, if I have my edc pack we can do the same thing with that.

47. Kelvin Birmingham on August 4, 2018 at 11:46 am

I throw in a heavy hunting or military coat on top of that.

48. cwes41 on August 4, 2018 at 11:46 am

To thejoshbtv: Good point! Keeping your skin covered in an icy wind is really important. In winter, I keep snow gear in the trunk which includes ski goggles, a face mask, and a  warm headcover along with insulated boots, bib, and parka.. I don’t have snowshoes so I keep close to main roads and highways when winter traveling conditions are really bad.

49. ForeverGhostdoggg on August 4, 2018 at 11:47 am

Being in WNY i definately like your kit. I never thought of the flare option but i will definately look into it. Are there any you recommend? Like the Vid’s btw..

50. bud moore on August 4, 2018 at 11:47 am