My Carry On Bags for Photography- My Travel Gear Go Bags that Never Leave Me by Jason Lanier

Join world traveling photographer Jason Lanier as he shares the carry on bags that he takes with him on every shoot…his “go bags.” PLEASE SHARE, LEAVE A COMMENT, THUMBS UP, AND SUBSCRIBE!

This was filmed as a Part 2 where Jason first detailed his 10 Things Every Person Should Know Before They Travel, Especially Photographers. If you missed Part 1 please click below:

People are asking the purposes of bringing this gear…it is as such:

A7Rii for stills and 4k,
A7sii for video and low light photography
A7ii’s for B roll footage/production shots,

If I have an extra body and I can take it, I’d prefer to transport a lens attached to a camera since the bodies are so small. In a pinch if I needed to grab a shot, it’s a lot better if the lens is already attached.

Also what some other photogs may not really understand is that I almost always have assistants with me shooting production shots. I’ll hand them one of my cameras with a card so I know the gear is solid rather than them bringing their own (regardless of make I don’t know other people’s gear).

I’ll also routinely have camera bodies in here with the anticipation of doing comparison videos on Youtube. So for example, this video had the A7s and the A7sii. Why? Because I’m planning on doing a comparison video between the two. My bags aren’t packed for the average use photographer…they are packed for someone who shoots and also produces Youtube videos, something the vast majority of photographers don’t do.

We thank you for watching and cordially invite you to stick around and watch a few more videos while you’re here.

Thanks!

Jason Lanier Photography

1. Michael Faraday on July 27, 2018 at 9:54 am

Again great advice Jason this will help many I am sure. Gone are the days when I packed that much on my travels, you are a brave dude. Thank you.

2. Major Motion Pictures on July 27, 2018 at 9:55 am

Do u ever shoot with the a7s2? If so how often. I would love to see how the image quality looks coming from it.

3. Madjpey W on July 27, 2018 at 9:56 am

How great to have multiple bodies! And that they’re all quality bodies! I’ve got a D750 and a D5100-I seem to do pretty good with those. Just did my 2nd wedding and all was good. Not sure I’ll ever get big enough to need more atleast not for now.

4. isabella davis on July 27, 2018 at 9:57 am

great info as always Jason…a few questions that may help us all..when you travel overseas to Europe for instance what charing unit do you bring along to keep your camera batteries charged or adaptors -voltage regulars- etc…for your Sony…that work in that specific country? Trying to get all of my ducks in a row for a trip soon…and the Roto NEO light do you just use double a batteries and discard them when done?Any info to help us further along is greatly appreciated Jason since you are now part of the JET SET travelers …LOL.

5. Jim Myers on July 27, 2018 at 9:59 am

I see Theoria is a real fan of yours, lol, He calls our Sony’s Phonies, some nerve he should try them but then again I don’t know if they would be of any help to him I have never seen 1 photo he has taken all I ever see is his fat head (and body) we can all see the great work you do. Keep it up Jason from another loyal Sony user (but not in your league)

6. John Valatos on July 27, 2018 at 10:00 am

Speechless. What advice are you giving your viewers by posting this video?

7. Mark Neal on July 27, 2018 at 10:03 am

Phew !! Thats some kit you got there Jason, a quick question . I am on the verge of leaving my Nikon D750 and opting for a lighter weight system (i do a lot of travel, landscape, gig and portrait photography) Money is short , as always but i have the chance to step into sony system with the A7ii and the 28-70 kit . You think thats a good start point ? oh and i also shoot some video , so yeah just your quick view on that combo to getting started . Thanks man , you are an inspiration and i have followed you and a few others very very closely to help make my mind of the switch !

8. Fabian Todman on July 27, 2018 at 10:04 am

hi jason what do you recommend as photography gear from Sony to start as a photographer. Would you like to make a video about it. I now own a sony rx100m3 .

9. Brian Eastwood on July 27, 2018 at 10:04 am

Great to see how you go kitted out ready to work. I’m about to tour Ecuador backroads for 6 days and thinking how to backup the A7r2 and action cam not being able to have a PC as I have to pack on a adv bike. I found a hub device where you can do it with a smartphone app and just carry some TB samsung T1s to put everything on. hopefully it works out. Keep the vids coming thanks.

10. holsteincowboy on July 27, 2018 at 10:04 am

Have you used the Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f4 G lens ?

11. wowgabewow on July 27, 2018 at 10:04 am

LOL angry photographer already talking shit about this, epic collection though man

12. nagol5178 on July 27, 2018 at 10:05 am

I have a big tarmac bag that carriers everything and then a bag that carries flash’s and lights. However, I mostly do Landscapes, so I take my hiking bag. Usually only carry my Canon with a 24-70 2.8 in a LowePro top loader and put it inside the hiking bag, food, water bladder, other things. I use the camera bags more as just transportation. For going out hiking and shooting I can never find a camera bag that works, hiking bags always end up being better.

13. Martijn Blijham on July 27, 2018 at 10:05 am

When is part #3 coming Jason ? That’s were you go to the chiropractor to get your back cracked after messing it up with that "travel bag" ..

14. Pete James on July 27, 2018 at 10:06 am

Your ‘travel gear’? Kidding me, right?

15. GothicGman on July 27, 2018 at 10:07 am

i so want one of them hats

16. tybeejeffro on July 27, 2018 at 10:09 am

Have you ever done a review of the RX1R or RX1R m2?

17. Sercan Bedel on July 27, 2018 at 10:10 am

Hi Jason
    Your rotolight code doesn’t work. I checked your site/rotolight link then tried again but in rotolight cart, it says jasonlanier-qr2 does not exist

18. Joseph Farrugia on July 27, 2018 at 10:13 am

Great info Jason, thanks. What model of ThinkTank bags are those?

19. Alexander Whyte on July 27, 2018 at 10:13 am

That must be the one thing other photographers fail to recommend … ibuprofen (your a star) … headaches during an event put a downer on the atmosphere when trying to keep an upbeat mood.

Your one of the best ones on YouTube … sometimes I have good and bad comments, but cant be great all the time Jason. I watch out for your updates, 95% are great, biggest issue I have is there’s not enough to keep me entertained. Maybe stick some old ones on for us to see??? … it might be ones you didn’t like are the ones we would.

Hope to see a few more sooner than later … cheers.

20. adam cain on July 27, 2018 at 10:14 am

Jason the best thing for traveling instead of headphones, invest in a good pair of Custom in ear monitors.

21. Tyrek Roach on July 27, 2018 at 10:15 am

always prepare! love it!

22. music TV on July 27, 2018 at 10:18 am

#Jason I lov your ur work

23. Ken5imaging on July 27, 2018 at 10:19 am

So many goodies! 🙂

24. Michael Jandavs on July 27, 2018 at 10:22 am

Wow. That’s some great gear in there.

25. Victorkapz on July 27, 2018 at 10:22 am

My back hurts now..

26. Oliver Beames on July 27, 2018 at 10:26 am

D500 & D5. Wow!!

27. Damian Janicki on July 27, 2018 at 10:26 am

No ps4?

28. Nikansh Batish on July 27, 2018 at 10:27 am

hii jason i’m a great fan & just love your work

i wanted to ask for your advice as i am thinking of buying my first camera
    what would u prefer a DSLR or A6000

29. RS on July 27, 2018 at 10:28 am

Great bag.
    Where is the selfie stick 😉

30. Abdulrahman Alhatlani l عبدالرحمن الهطلاني on July 27, 2018 at 10:29 am

Hi Jason,
    I have two Q’s for you.
    Q1: Why no tripods?
    Q2: If you have to choose only one camera and lens for Videography, which one’d be your "all in one" choice?

Thanks!

31. Eddy Albino on July 27, 2018 at 10:30 am

Q: before switching to Sony, how many Nikon cameras did you have at this moment? at the same time?

32. Tomislav Miletić on July 27, 2018 at 10:33 am

I know you and I have different jobs, but for me, the most important things while working is to be in condition to run, jump, drive and even to dodge bullets, with one working bag on my body. And I’m a bit older than you 🙂 That’s the reason there’s usually only one camera in my bag, with 2 or 3 lenses top, a flash and an iPad. And one p&s maybe. And of course I’m working for the newspaper…

33. Steve Polhill on July 27, 2018 at 10:34 am

I have often gone on 2 and 3 day photography trips and used the laptop compartment for 1-2 changes of clothes and misc toiletries. It’s a tight fit but it works. That way I don’t have to check any bags. I don’t trust the airlines as far as I can throw them. Mind you I don’t take the amount of gear that you do.

34. RAZOR'S EDGE VLOG on July 27, 2018 at 10:35 am

You didn’t mention tripods, I think you may not use tripods a lot but isn’t that something that must be checked? You mentioned backpacks in part one. I’m preparing for a trip from NE China to Thailand and I’ll be staying over 6 months, I have a Mac desktop I can remove the stand from and fit it in a backpack with substantial padding, will this work? My camera, filters, laptop, lens and batteries all fit in my carry on roller bag. I don’t want to ship the desktop and deal with possible import duties and I don’t want to check it. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

35. josh jensen on July 27, 2018 at 10:39 am

that’s cool what is a good camera to start out with please thank you

36. Frank on July 27, 2018 at 10:40 am

Do you give the second carry on bag to another member on your team to carry on?

37. Ahmed Hilles on July 27, 2018 at 10:41 am

Hi, can you make a vid that learn how and when to use flash light and its umbrella (i think) , please?!

38. Mark Lloyd on July 27, 2018 at 10:41 am

I have almost seen every video you have made on YouTube, love your work. I did invest in an a6000 from Sony a couple months back after investing a bit of money in a Canon 7D. What can be done with that Sony is amazing leaving my 7D for dead. I was wanting to invest in a full frame sony A72 or similar and sell my Canon. Just wondering on your thoughts.I know it is up to the individual really, just some guidance from somebody who knows what sony are capable of.

39. Will John on July 27, 2018 at 10:41 am

Of all your cameras which is your favourite/ if you could only have one which would it be?

40. Jason Lanier on July 27, 2018 at 10:43 am

People are asking the purposes of bringing this gear…it is as such:

A7Rii for stills and 4k video
    A7sii for 4k video and low light photography handheld
    A7ii’s for B roll footage/production shots,

41. Calvin Chann on July 27, 2018 at 10:44 am

Too many bodies!

42. ejbernal2 on July 27, 2018 at 10:44 am

Ever thought about adding nail clippers to your bag?

43. Kung Cidro on July 27, 2018 at 10:44 am

Jason, do you really drop this stuff off at the bagdrop or do you brings these 2 bags into the plane yourself? I would never be able to trust the guys loading the plane with bags to handle them with care.. But these 2 bags together are way to big for handlugage, no??

44. Linus Nygren on July 27, 2018 at 10:45 am

Love your vids and the simple tips, Jason! But for the love of the Swedish king and his moose army, get an external mic! I just picked up the Röde VideoMicro, does a more than OK job for these type of vids or when you need to pick up foley in a hurry 🙂

45. hungryoctopus on July 27, 2018 at 10:48 am

your head looks like my middle toe, the ugly toe, you know the one, the one no one really notices until i put some glitter on it, cant polish a turd though, just sayin, kka kka kaw!

46. EFD620G on July 27, 2018 at 10:48 am

I know there’s a logical reason for so many camera bodies;Please explain why

47. Tony Seddon on July 27, 2018 at 10:49 am

Hi Jason, you show the laea3 adapter.I have laea4 . what difference would I notice between the 2 if any using Sony Zeiss 135 f1.8 and Minolta 70-210 F4 on A72 or A7s Many thanks.

48. Jeremy Gray on July 27, 2018 at 10:50 am

Have you ever purchased from Unique Photo in NJ?  Just wanted to know if they were legit and no so called Grey Market Products.

49. Cesar Harretche on July 27, 2018 at 10:51 am

so…
    a7s
    a7sII
    a7rII
    a7II (x2)
    rx1r
    ?

50. Brett Harris on July 27, 2018 at 10:52 am

Dam mate, so many cameras. Which one i don’t have yet, A7rii. 😯 And not forgetting rotolight neo’s and Batis 85.