My Travel Photography Gear: Episode 151: Exploring Photography with Mark Wallace

AdoramaTV presents Exploring Photography with Mark Wallace. Mark just got back from a backpacking trip in India and wants to share with you the ultra-light gear that he takes with him when he has to carry everything he needs for a month. Mark whittles down his essential photography gear into just a few items, and as he unpacks his bag he gives you the what and why of each!

AdoramaTV features talented hosts including: Mark Wallace, Gavin Hoey, Joe McNally, Tamara Lackey, Diane Wallace, Bryan Peterson and Rich Harrington.

Related Products:

APPLE iPHONE 5s 4G LTE SMARTPHONE ON iOS 7 W/64 GB HARD DRIVE

Apple iPhone 4S EVDO Mobile Hotspot Phone on iOS 5 with 16GB Hard Drive, Black (Verizon Wireless)

Canon EOS-5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera Body, 22.3 Megapixel

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens

Apple 11.6″ MacBook Air Notebook Computer, 1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

LaCie Rugged USB3 Thunderbolt 256GB Solid State Drive, 5Gb/s USB 3.0 Transfer Rate

BlackRapid Metro Sling Camera Strap, Black

Check out Adorama’s latest contest here for great prizes!:

If you have questions, share them with us at: adotv@adorama.com

1. LordTerenas on July 26, 2018 at 9:54 am

"Finding" a dog when you’re away from your own is indeed a great feeling… ūüôā

2. Patrick Gregorio on July 26, 2018 at 9:57 am

I don’t see the point in putting the laptop in your day pack? ¬†Just wait til the end of the day to process your pics.

3. Robert Baker on July 26, 2018 at 10:00 am

Why no flash?

4. nikhilsrl on July 26, 2018 at 10:01 am

don’t you take a tripod?

5. tscholent on July 26, 2018 at 10:01 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/slain-teacher-memorial-1.4016883 Most important when traveling with gear…don’t fight for it !

6. elr2141979 on July 26, 2018 at 10:01 am

Mark you should get a Sony a7 for travel

7. thany3 on July 26, 2018 at 10:02 am

Holy cow, you brought one of the heaviest cameras and a super heavy lens. Yes, great quality, but srsly, that’s not travelling light. And then you bring a macbook air?! What for, for contrast? And then you buff it up with a bulky drive again. Blyme.

When travelling light, no offense, MFT (or I should say, mirrorless) I think is the only viable option when still in need for some decent quality. A proper ultrabook, or even a subnotebook with a more powerful cpu and more storage is a much better solution than a macbookair + bulky storage that doesn’t work on the go (yeah, the lacie needs power from the mains).

8. Leonardo Abreu on July 26, 2018 at 10:02 am

I never focus and recompose, aways lost the focus.

9. Eduardo Moradel on July 26, 2018 at 10:06 am

you have to be careful were you take camera gear out, one the items most stolen are DSLR cameras in most countries. A canon 5D mkIII catches a lot of atention.

10. Prasanna Banwat on July 26, 2018 at 10:07 am

Come to Satara (MH)!! would love to meet the legend!!!

11. Johnathan Evans on July 26, 2018 at 10:08 am

Surface Pro 2 and a full Fuji XE1 kit has become my pro and travel gear.

12. Vikram Soni on July 26, 2018 at 10:08 am

liked the video, good that you chose India for travel photography.

13. cirmothe9 on July 26, 2018 at 10:09 am

*throws hard drive off airplane mid-flight*
    You won’t fool me again Mark.

14. Harry Tran on July 26, 2018 at 10:10 am

is that version II or I in the video?

15. Craig Holtz on July 26, 2018 at 10:11 am

No tripod?

I own a MindShift BackLight 26L, and it’s too large to fit underneath the seat on an international flight. (29 x 51.5 x 20 cm)

I already have a carry-on to put above. I will NOT be checking anything in.

Here are the personal carry on limitations of the flights I will be on.

Air Canada: 16 cm x 33 cm x 43 cm (6 in x 13 in x 17 in)
    Swiss International Airlines: 40 x 30 x 10 cm)

Here is the gear that I want to take:

Canon 5D Mark III
    EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
    EF 24-70mm f/2.8 II USM
    EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS II USM
    Gitzo GT2542T Series 2 tripod
    Really Right Stuff BH-40-LR Ballhead
    Format Hitech filter kit in pouch
    Canon Timer Remote Controller TC80N3
    Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2
    Canon Extender EF 1.4xIII

I already have a carry-on travel backpack for my clothes, etc., so I need a camera bag to put under the seat.

What do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Craig

16. Michael Throop on July 26, 2018 at 10:11 am

I was surprised not to see a tripod.  You must have a real steady hand.

17. Radu Andreyi on July 26, 2018 at 10:16 am

That MacBook is so nice..expensive though

18. Eddy Forero on July 26, 2018 at 10:17 am

I gotta get out more often too . This is refreshing

19. Pete Price on July 26, 2018 at 10:19 am

India, Cool! I have a couple of questions. Is there a way to download the SD card right onto the portable hard drive without the laptop ?? Also, what do you recommend for battery charging if your going to be in the field longer than the battery life ?? Other than more batteries, I already have 2.
    I’ve been section hiking the Appalachian Trail for a number of years usually about 4-5 days at a time. This year I’ve got the ridiculous idea to bring a DSLR with me (the weight is what makes this a ridiculous idea). If you can tell me how to make the DSLR lighter that would be awesome too!!

20. Greg Saveall on July 26, 2018 at 10:23 am

lmao that really is the worst recommendation for a travel camera ever

21. Suparman Widjaja on July 26, 2018 at 10:25 am

That looks like 24-70 mk I

22. kurt lindner on July 26, 2018 at 10:25 am

Looked fun. I’d love to see more, and great information!

23. Deep Desire on July 26, 2018 at 10:26 am

Oh mY gOD..This is too much gear to take in a country like India..easily noticeable and can be stolen..

24. Vikash Krishna on July 26, 2018 at 10:27 am

Hey Mark, Welcome to India. Let me know if you have any plan to visit Bangalore.. would love to meet you.

25. IMTHATGUYBGA on July 26, 2018 at 10:28 am

pssssst‚Ķ.Leica M6 (classic) with a 35, 50, and 90mm. ¬†With the 35, depending on the day and ISO, you can shoot on the street at f8 and have everything from like 7 feet to infinity in focus. ¬†No need to recharge batteries (what if the power grid becomes unstable?), just bring a spare set. 1 3V or 2 1.5V hearing aid/watch style fit practically anywhere. ¬†If you shoot so much that both sets of batteries die and you can’t find more, they are just for the built-in light meter anyway, and I know you can approximate without one. ¬†If you need one, there is an iPhone app that is a light meter and is just as accurate as my Sekonic. ¬†Other than that, a Billingham Stowaway "Airline" bag, that you can wear on your belt with your gear in it (lenses, film, 3M microfiber cloth, gorrilapod, short shutter release), and spend the rest of your time shooting and exploring‚Ķyou can edit once you get back home. ¬† Cheers Mark!

26. Saikat Saha on July 26, 2018 at 10:29 am

great video… If you ever come to India in future then visit Kolkata… its a great city with great places for photography… If you ever visit Kolkata do contact me for sure so that I can meet you as I am a great fan of your photography and tutorials… And I can guide you to best location for photography at Kolkata… 1 more thing I cant reach the Adorama contest page through the link.

27. Patrick NY on July 26, 2018 at 10:30 am

That 10lb backpack 1 ft out behind his back must feel like 50lbs on his spine. Added to the hot weather, he should pack a smaller camera.

28. Francesco Chetcuti on July 26, 2018 at 10:31 am

Great information video i really needed this information,
    ¬†thanks a lot Mark !!!! ūüôā

29. thimotta on July 26, 2018 at 10:34 am

If I buy a MIII, a 24-70 2.8L and macbook pro air I tell you my friend, I wont be traveling for a long time

30. jonneymendoza on July 26, 2018 at 10:35 am

i went travel photography on my own to vietnam with more gear then Mark. i had the same camera and the mk2 version of that same lens plus a 16-35 F2.8L(my most used lens on the trip) and a 70-200f2.8 My only complaint was that i did not have a day bag with me and halfway through my trip i bought one to stuff my camera gear there only. In terms of bringing a laptop of any kind, disagree with Mark. a ipad or even a smartphone is more then enough because when travelling, do you want to spend half your time editing pics? i personally don’t and wait until i come home before i do that. This gives me proper time to travel and explore a new country i am in and also to take an actual break away from sitting in front of a laptop/Computer too.

The setup i had for a 1 month trip to Vietnam was the above lens and camera plus 3 days worth of clothes and other bits and bobs that where inside a 37L backpack and a small 10L carry bag.

What i would do would be to upgrade my backpack to a bigger one such as a 58L one and then put inside an empty day backpack inside it. That would be the ultimate setup for me. Anyways Thanks mark for a great video. Enjoyed it and hope you had a fantastic time in India

31. DrummingSpain on July 26, 2018 at 10:35 am

If you love the Canon, why not a 6D with 24-70L f/4 combo? Much lighter and smaller and let’s face it, it will allow you take pretty much exactly the same photos. Plus, although one stop slower than the 2.8, you’ve got both IS and macro. For travel, it would be a better choice….. IMO

32. Joshua Boldt on July 26, 2018 at 10:35 am

dude didn’t you break your back? and now you are backpacking across India? wow¬†

33. Isaac C on July 26, 2018 at 10:36 am

a quick question,… if you just showed us your camera gear how were you recording this? no tripod? lav mic? thanks

34. WhatWouldKarlaSay on July 26, 2018 at 10:36 am

i want his backpack . anyone know where I can get one like that?

35. mattperthwa on July 26, 2018 at 10:37 am

I just had a laCie drive die on me, it was merely sitting on my shelf. No knocks or drops… just died plain and simple. I don’t recommend them at all.

36. joao cravo on July 26, 2018 at 10:38 am

Hi Adorama TV, what is the backpack that Mark was traveling with in this video?

37. The Gull on July 26, 2018 at 10:39 am

I plan to go on a photography adventure to Hawaii or somewhere exotic with my model. If anyone would like to see our adventure please check my channel.

38. glennaa11 on July 26, 2018 at 10:40 am

Time to go micro4/3. Ultra small cameras and lenses, great quality.

39. Angel Casta√Īal on July 26, 2018 at 10:42 am

Do you carry your friend inside that huge backpack?

40. The Travel Vlogger on July 26, 2018 at 10:42 am

Love it

41. supraaegis on July 26, 2018 at 10:43 am

Agree 5Diii + 24-70 2.8 II is heavy for travel….
    … but that’s so good !!! Very reliable !

42. Merrick Cousley on July 26, 2018 at 10:45 am

Thanks for sharing, awesome stuff. Is that the same lens hood on vs1? How is it at the wide end?

43. Adorama on July 26, 2018 at 10:46 am

Exclusively on #AdoramaTV : +Mark Wallace shares the lightweight pack & essential #photography  gear he brought backpacking in India! http://adr.ma/1m5cYoo

44. jay ho on July 26, 2018 at 10:49 am

What the heck, he brings a 5d mark IIi plus the heavy 24-70 lens with him … That’s way too heavy to travel around man!

45. Ewald Stander on July 26, 2018 at 10:49 am

Nice, I use 5d mk1 and 24-105 and 50mm.

46. Joey Joiner on July 26, 2018 at 10:50 am

Yes! More episodes like this please. We LOVE when you’re out and about and in really cool and different places around the world. More! More! More!

47. izhak haime on July 26, 2018 at 10:50 am

Next time take the sony rx 1 or sony a7

48. WHITE LION on July 26, 2018 at 10:51 am

I am surprised that I actually came across a video of Mark which i didn’t like and felt like I didn’t learn a useful tip. As others have mentioned here that setup is incredibly heavy. I will start to use a Canon SL1 with the 40mm pancake lens as my walk around/travel setup. I want to spend more time taking pictures and enjoying the moments and less time worrying about how my bicep and forearm are starting to shake from holding up a heavy camera and lens combo. Anyways no one is perfect and this is just a reminder. You still the man Mark!

49. Jay on July 26, 2018 at 10:51 am

So backback system, are you using here?