Rick Steves: Choosing the Right Travel Gear

Rick Steves: Choosing the Right Travel Gear

Shop Rick’s travel bags: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/travel-bags Traveling with the right gear is important, and finding the bag that fits your travel style makes a big impact on your trip. Rick demonstrates the features of our carry-on travel bags and tips for packing light in this video. You can get Rick’s packing list and more info about packing light on our website: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light

At http://www.ricksteves.com, you’ll find money-saving travel tips, small-group tours, guidebooks, TV shows, radio programs, podcasts, and more on this destination.

1. Susie Knight on June 24, 2018 at 2:25 am

You guys need to have this water bottle. I just received it fast from amazon and cant wait to take it with me for our next trip 🙂 Really cool thing, love the collapsible style and the soft material is just amazing. If anyone is interested you can get it on amazon in US. Worth the money. Called GB-Ottle by Giant Beez … http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AU0OOO2/?ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

2. ESUSAMEX on June 24, 2018 at 2:37 am

I use the convertible carry-on backpack and I love it. I’ve had it for several years and I have never had a problem with it.

3. Big Fat Tony's on June 24, 2018 at 2:40 am

After 2 trips to Italy I now agree with Rick on packing light. "There is no way I can have all that I need in one bag such as that." "Well, he is right about having just one bag." " If my bag was smaller I could carry it and not have to drag it over these cobblestone" For the third trip I have come to believe what Rick has been saying all along.

4. Darren Krock on June 24, 2018 at 2:43 am

I love watching this guy’s travel shows! A very eloquent speaker.

5. QueenCoCoaMocha on June 24, 2018 at 2:44 am

this presentation is better than QVC…

6. 1Bandit455 on June 24, 2018 at 2:46 am

Great video Rick – helpful ideas 🙂

7. Mark Enna on June 24, 2018 at 2:50 am

Rick I really love your shows. I am a Handicapped Senior Citizen. Due to my injuries Neck wallets or Money Belts are not an option. I have however found a solution that allows me to carry everything I require for my day trips around Costa Rica. I bought a Fishing vest and the clear inside pocket hold my Passport and Medical information, The other deep inside pockets hold my keys, wallet and any other valuables. I keep my camera gear, odds and ends, munchies, and another wallet with my day money on the outside of the vest. It is very comfortable to wear and convenient to use. Perhaps you can improve on the design if you believe there is a market for it?

8. ksolo012 on June 24, 2018 at 2:55 am

Rick Steve’s should be hired as an adviser to the White House on foreign relations.

9. jkirk1626 on June 24, 2018 at 2:55 am

If you run out of room, get your camera crew and brow-beaten submissive interns to carry it. For stuff exceeding that capacity, use the PBS slush fund that American tax payers are forced to fund on pain of imprisonment.

10. Rocco P on June 24, 2018 at 2:55 am

Rick offers some good advice, but the 9" thickness of his recommended carry-on exceeds the limit for both Ryanair and Vueling (20 cm or 7.9"). Many intra-European flights marketed by British Airways and Iberia are actually codeshare flights operated by Vueling, so the smaller size limits apply. Also, Rick’s self-imposed weight limit of 20 pounds exceeds the carry on limits for Alitalia, Swiss, and Scandinavian (8 kg or 17.6 pounds). If you only discover this at the gate, you may incur significant fees. If you want to take the larger/heavier bags, it might be cheaper to check the bag. EasyJet has the most generous carry-on restrictions, allowing bags up to 22"x17.8"x9.8" with no weight restrictions. This is actually slightly larger than the restrictions for most US carriers. On the other hand, EasyJet does not allow a purse or other personal item, unless you buy a more expensive seat or have special status.

11. เอกวัฒน์ พัฒนวิบูลย์ on June 24, 2018 at 2:58 am

Love your videos so much

12. M vs on June 24, 2018 at 3:00 am

is not good for pocket picker

13. Roland Lowhorn on June 24, 2018 at 3:00 am

Winter traveling would increase luggage by how much?

14. DarrenCCCC on June 24, 2018 at 3:04 am

No laptop, Camera, or books? what about a spare pair of shoes? Seems like a second bag might be necessary for the plane ride, etc.

15. Mudkipgamer on June 24, 2018 at 3:12 am

I love Rick he is so nerdy

16. Bob Mob on June 24, 2018 at 3:13 am

Buy an expensive camera backpack and it will last ten years

17. Samus Aran on June 24, 2018 at 3:14 am

I live in San Francisco and I cannot tell you how many times I see tourist with luggage they can barely manage. It also gets in everyone’s way in public transportation.

18. Carosanzera on June 24, 2018 at 3:16 am

I just love rick!

19. Lemon Squishy on June 24, 2018 at 3:18 am

Should be on HSN. Very nice pieces and sensible.

20. James T on June 24, 2018 at 3:22 am

Love your videos and advise, Rick. As a US expat living in the UK, your tips helped me get started! A thank you!

21. SpottedSharks on June 24, 2018 at 3:23 am

I love the hands-free feature that the backpacks give me. Because they are soft-sided they also form-fit to a degree to whatever overhead space you get on the airplane.